A healthy lifestyle starts with healthy habits. Early to bed and early to rise is certainly one such practice that affects your whole day in many positive ways. If you are struggling with being an early riser or curious to know how to be a morning person and why, then you are at the right place. Let’s first look why being a morning person helps and later learn how to be a morning person with easy doable efforts.
1. Reason to wake up early morning – Rising 48 mins before sunrise (in brahmamuhurat) is considered to be an ideal time. It is the time when the mind remain calm and doing some meditation becomes really easy to prepare you for a more energetic and fruitful day ahead. Rising early allows you to have more time, use this time to be mindful, use this time as “me” time to think about yourself, your day, your health, your relations, whatever comes to your clear mind. This is a great time for exercise as the body is fully relaxed and recharged and the mind is focused. Students can use this time to study difficult portions. It’s a great time to study and memorize. Early risers can plan their day efficiently, come with more productive ideas and decisions at work, remain in happy mood, make realistic goals and work on them. Just like the sun, early risers go through their day shining, making you more content with yourself and others around you happy as well. Your stress level reduces as you become more accomplished with time. Early rising sets your day, you eat healthy and early, start working more organized, feel energized to have a fulfilling family life and sleep peacefully. Rise early to be healthy and live longer.
2. Sleep early to rise early – The first step towards getting up early is to sleep early. Try to sleep at the most by 10 pm. If you can’t sleep this early try to make a bedtime routine. Limit the usage of gadgets post sunset, try to take bath if possible before bedtime or at least dip your feet in lukewarm water, drink warm herbal tea/turmeric milk, read some books, dim the bedroom and try to sleep putting some soothing music on timer. Meditating at the end of the day with deep breathing also helps prior to sleeping as it calms down the mind. Fix a time to sleep and maintain it regularly. Even when you don’t fall asleep, don’t get tempted to get up, instead sleep and try deep breathing. If you have sleeping disorders consult a doctor to fix your sleeping problem. Always remember to slow down post sunset. Avoid heavy meals in dinner as it may interfere with your sound sleep and eat at least 2 hrs before sleeping for proper digestion.
3. Set up an alarm for the beginning – Getting up this early is not easy, so check what’s your internal clock timing. We all have a sleep cycle, and our body wakes up at a particular time. After setting a fixed sleep time, see when your body wakes up, wake up the first time you open your eyes in the morning. Don’t go to sleep immediately, at least wakeup and check the clock. If possible, don’t go to sleep and get up. As this is the natural alarm clock of your body, signaling you it’s time to wake up. If getting up is getting difficult at the beginning, wake up to check the time and sit for 5 mins before going to sleep again. And after some days set up your alarm clock around this time. Your alarm clock will help you to get up at a fixed time. With time you will get up on your own.
4. Start your day afresh- Get up and sit in solitude for sometime. Freshen up and sit for at least 5 mins in by meditation. Go out and see the sun rise. Soak some sunlight. Do some outdoor exercises to refresh your body. Jogging, skipping, yoga, cardio all works well to feel energized. You can alternate and mix up your exercise routine. After that go straight for bathing. Always start your day with something that inspire you, be it cooking, a music session, skincare, having a tea/coffee time whatever makes you feel good. After your breakfast only, catch up with your phone/work. Your morning should be your prep time for the whole day, don’t be disorganized and do whatever you feel like. Make a note of things you want to do before you start engaging in your work to be productive.
5. The don’t – Don’t be discouraged with first few attempts, as it takes time to form a habit. Don’t hit the snooze button, get up once the alarm rings. Don’t forget to do some sort of physical activity/exercise as it will surely energize you for the rest of the day. You don’t need to have a fixed morning ritual as you can mix up what you like to do according to your priority. Mornings are for you to start in a better way, so don’t stress about missing things, add little little things to do as per your comfort level. Don’t skip your breakfast, it’s the first meal of the day and must be done wholesomely.
We hope with these easy steps you will learn to get up early and charge towards being a more creative and energetic person.